Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Day 11: More Diagramming

I had my first meeting yesterday with the wonderful Mr. Chow, and holy wow you guys you need to talk to Jay. Not only did he answer my questions, and fix things that needed fixing (in my head and in my CL) but he helped me move ahead in my diagramming - this is not to say that what you're about to see is officially sanctioned by him, only that he gave some encouragement on an idea I had. If there is a mistake in it (which I already know there is) it's mine.

So here's where I am now in my diagramming. I've added the possible data types that could fill the first and last fields in a script. Since those possible data types depend on which component is involved, I've made a slideshow, with each slide corresponding to a specific type of component, eg note, input, or graph. The possibilities for the source data type of an input component are not the same as those for a graph, for example.

This is meant to help get a sense of how the CL is structured, but not go into much detail (yet) about what individual terms like "initialLatex"mean. For example, I don't yet know what "initialLatex" actually does, only that it's something that would go into the field I've labelled "Sink Data Type", so that tells me it's something to do with a component into which something is being injected. (Maybe it's something that is to be displayed in an input to prompt students? No idea.) This at least helps me not get overwhelmed when I'm reading someone else's script.


The mistake is in the "To put a script into the gearbox of" part. I'd previously felt pretty sure that the script always goes into the gearbox of whatever component is the sink. But, for example, in the cardsort (last slide), according to this sample from Jocelyn's collection, the script is in the gearbox of the actual title of the screen. So I need to think on that for a bit. Also I need to add "title" as a component.

Also, I haven't worked in yet how to show that once you've selected a certain data type for your sink, your choices for the source data type are further filtered down, because they must match. For example, if your sink data type is "number", your source data type can't be "content", but it could be "numericValue". 

No comments:

Post a Comment