Friday, July 19, 2019

Learning the Desmos Computation Layer

I have tried to get my head around this. It's not that I don't understand the whole source/sink thing, and it's not that I don't get the big idea - that when you add CL to your Desmos activity, what happens during the activity depends on what the student does - I get that. I love that. It gives Desmos that conditional property that I use so much in GeoGebra. I WANT THAT.

I think it's the syntax that escapes me. I wish someone could just make a diagram about that - this goes here, this needs brackets...anyway if I ever figure this out I shall try to make something like that myself so other people in the age range in which I find myself have a chance.

So for now I'm trying again, starting with the Desmos CL documentation. I'll also use Jay Chow's (@mrchowmath) resources, and this treasure trove of a collection that Jocelyn Dagenais (@jocedage) shared with me.

Wish me luck, I'm going in.

2 comments:

  1. Jay's stuff is a great help. What gets me in the end is that I can do so much of what I want with the regular activity builder, that the CL stuff doesn't wind up feeling worth the time. I know that would be less once I learned it, but it keeps me from learning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. The regular AB has always been so powerful, and the folks at Desmos keep adding new things, like snapshots, that I needed but didn't even know I needed. So there's that. But every now and then this last year, I'd be doing an activity with my class and think - oh I coulda CL'd this part. Plus I was at the fellows event last summer and everyone else seemed to be jumping right into it with no hesitation. So maybe I'm trying to not feel behind the eight ball.

      Delete